Adventist Medical Center Manila formerly Manila Sanitarium was started as a clinic in July 1929 by Dr. Horace A. Hall, a medical missionary. It was located at the corner of Vermont St. (now Julio Nakpil St.) and Indiana St. Malate, Manila. The service was carried on mainly for Adventists living in Manila and neighboring provinces. As demands for service increased, the dispensary was converted into a small hospital and a three-storey building was constructed.
The School of Nursing
In the 1930, the MSH School of Nursing was opened and maintained by Miss Fannie Hiday, an American nurse; followed by Miss Bessie Irvine and Miss Bertha Parker. In 1967, Philippine Union College (PUC) absorbed the school and Manila Sanitarium and Hospital simply provided the facility or its clinical division.
The Relocation and the Second World War
A 2 ½ acre lot was bought in 1940, and a four-storey building was built on its present location at the corner of San Juan and Donada Streets in Pasay City. Service was interrupted when the Japanese Imperial Army took over MSH during the Second World War. They used MSH as a navy hospital from January 1942 to February 1945. When the Japanese evacuated, a demolition bomb was detonated under the center of the structure causing extensive damage. Amidst the ruins of the hospital, a clinic was opened and continued to serve the surrounding community. Dr. Regalado T. Santos was the Medical Director during those troublous times. The American army also occupied the building until July 1946. Rebuilding of the hospital took place between 1947-19